Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Movie Review: Argo

Argo (2012)

A dramatization of the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran.  Short synopsis of Argo takenfrom IMDb.com

This will be a quick review.  Most people who are going to see this one have already done so, I'm sure.  It's been on DVD for some time.  Why hadn't I watched it yet, even though I heard it was really good from someone I consider to be a reliable source?  Well, I kind of wanted to read the book associated with it and then do a dual review.  But as I am so far behind on all my reviews, and my enthusiasm for getting caught up isn't quite what I wish it to be, I am going to just cut to the chase and do this one up.


The things I noticed in this film were how good a job Ben Affleck did, and how tense it was to watch the events described in it unfold.  On the first measure, Affleck has a somewhat dubious reputation in the media, and some of this is probably deserved.  He did have a string of rather lackluster films.  But Argo proves that Affleck himself has got the chops for major roles of significance, I think.  He plays the role of CIA exfiltration officer to the hilt, and it comes across as completely believable.  Plus, the fact that Affleck was also in the director's chair shows that the man has multiple talents.  I look forward to whatever he does next, and hope it is of similar stature.

Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi and his queen, Farah Diba.  The Shah was ousted by popular revolution in 1979.  He later died in exile in Egypt, and is entombed in Cairo. / Source: pintrest.com

As for the tension of the film... well, if you can get past the language involved, which is quite "descriptive" (i.e.: lot's of f-bombs and such), the subject matter is thoroughly engrossing.  From the opening moments when the U.S. embassy in Teheran is surrounded by angry Islamic militant protesters, to the concluding race down the runway of the Swiss Air flight that is being pursued by Iranian Revolutionary Guardsmen who have been informed of the plane's contents, the whole thing is fraught with excitement and tension that is "based on" historical events (more on that 'based on' in my review of the book).

Now I want to read the book Argo is based on even more.  Just to see how close they kept it to what really happened, or at least what we've been told about what really happened.  It's heady stuff.

I won't say more.  If you like spy thrillers, but find Hollywood's interpretation of them through fictional works to be too insipid, Argo should help out.  The events are better than all but the very best Clancy techno-thrillers, and the historical significance of the events should be noted by all westerners - especially Americans - who want to understand the atmosphere that has created the modern state of Iran since the downfall of the Shah in 1979.  Great stuff, and highly recommended.


The parting comment:

Source: LOLSnaps.com
"Rawk!  Polly won't break under your boot!  Rawk!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but moderated. Thanks