Friday, November 21, 2014

Movie Review: The Hunger Games - Catching Fire

Since the next Hunger Games movie just came out in theaters, it seemed relevant to me to post this belated review of the second film.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
 

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark become targets of the Capitol after their victory in the 74th Hunger Games sparks a rebellion in the Districts of Panem.  Short synopsis of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire taken from IMDb.com

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was everything I hoped the first one would be.  They ditched most of the shaky cam.  They gave the vistas more scope.  It didn't feel quite so "shot on the cheap," as the first one had.  And the involving plot of the book is held close to, which really does the film in good stead. 

A valid argument, but not backed with sufficient examples.  C+ for effort. / Source: jib.yuku.com
 
This will be an incredibly short review when compared to many I have done, as I will say that Catching Fire was one of the more engaging movies I've seen lately, and I'm glad I saw it.  If you are even slightly interested in this whole Hunger Games thing, but don't want to bother with the books, or if you liked the books and were hoping for more from the first film, Catching Fire will do just fine.  Too bad you kinda have to suffer through the first flick's failings to get there.  One of those instances, rare as they are, where Hollywood does it better the sequel time around.  But they'll ruin the third one.  Just my pessimistic side showing.  You wait and see.


The parting comment:

Source: all-booked.blogspot.com
Well yes, before I'd read any of the books or seen any of the films, that's kind of what I envisaged too.


A two-for-one today, since the review was so short.  But seriously, even though Honest Trailers makes valid points across the board, I still stand by my review.  Maybe it was because the first film was a bit underwhelming.  And shaky.  Yeah.  Shaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but moderated. Thanks