Sunday, November 23, 2014

Movie Review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Captain America - The Winter Soldier  (2014)


Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world and battles a new threat from old history: the Soviet agent known as the Winter Soldier Short synopsis of Captain America: The Winter Soldier taken from IMDb.com   

So.... can we have a superhero movie where the subtitle is a bit more abstruse? I mean, here I was hoping that maybe the titular “Winter Soldier” was some Cold War metaphor or something that made the viewer think. No, it’s the film’s bad guy. Or at least one of the film’s multitude of bad guys, that is.


Not to ruin it, but I had Robert Redford’s character pegged at the first moment I saw him on screen. But then again, I was also pretty sure that Scarlett Johansson's character would turn out somehow to be a villain too this time around, and… well SPOILER ALERT, but she’s a good guy the whole way through.

Growing up, I always thought Captain America looked like kind of a chump.  For a superhero, that is.  I especially like the big letter "A" on his forehead.  You know, I recall another person who had a scarlet letter "A" on her chest.  Wait a second!  I see it now!  Captain America film...  Scarlett Johannson as Black Widow... Hester Prynne had a scarlet letter...  is Captain Rogers - aka: Captain America actually the son of Prynne and Reverend Dimmesdale, transported forward in time via a space-time anomaly, to fight the evils of fascism?.............  Nah.  It's too plausible to be true.  / Source: marveldirectory.com

Just to clarify, it sounds like I didn’t like Winter Soldier, based on what I’ve said so far. The film was stylish, and I liked the plot overall. I do prefer Captain America in the 1940s myself. But he fits the average action hero role well enough. I suppose that is the problem for me though. Captain America is a bit too generic in the plot given him. Unlike the first Captain America film or even The Avengers, it sort of feels like you could drop any Marvel hero into this movie and the plot would still basically work. I won’t spoil the details for those of you who haven’t seen it and wish to, but I will say that even though I didn’t specifically see the “big reveal” of who or what was behind all the bad things going down, I wasn’t shocked or even terrifically impressed.

And the BIG bad guy reveal? The aforementioned Winter Soldier, I mean.  I won’t ruin it, but I didn’t like it. Can’t anyone stay dead in a movie? Or actually get killed when they do something that would kill 99 out of 100 human beings? I don’t know.

I vote that some future Captain America movie feature a robot zombie pirate Nazi ninja as a villain.  You've got all the bad there and in such a compact package. / Source: TomBerryArtist - deviantart.com  

As for the recommendation, I’d say Captain America: The Winter Soldier is recommended as a Redbox rental, but I’d definitely not buy it for keeps. It might have been worth a cheap seats viewing, but only because the visuals would have been pretty impressive on the big screen. But this was not a regular theater film, and I’d have been disappointed in seeing it there.

In fact, Captain America: The Winter Soldier is only recommended if you really like Marvel films, really like Captain America, or are just in the mood for a superhero romp. But for myself, there are better things I’d watch, if I had to choose over again.


The parting comment:


Oh yeah, that is exactly how it should have ended.  Hail Hydra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but moderated. Thanks