Sunday, November 23, 2014

Movie Review: Skyfall

Skyfall (2012)


Bond's loyalty to M is tested when her past comes back to haunt her. Whilst MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.   Short synopsis of Skyfall taken from IMDb.com  

A short review for this one.  I'll skip the overall story, not because Skyfall is so good that I think it should be saved for the viewer (though by the time this goes on the blog, it'll probably have been out on DVD for months, or even perhaps years), nor because it was so bad it wasn't worth re-telling (which is not my opinion).  The plot is fairly simple compared to some recent spy-thriller-type films I've seen.  There's a bad guy who wants revenge, and James Bond, who has had a bad set-back after being shot by a fellow agent, is after said bad guy.  Everything else is fairly ancillary to the plot.

However, there is one key element that needs talking about, and then several things I'd like to take note of, and I'll be through.  The key element in question is the heavier involvement of Dame Judy Dench as "M," in these latest few James Bond flicks.  It has gone from being a fairly obligatory "boss" role (hey - hired killers need leash-holders, even when they are as debonair and sophisticated as our Mr. Bond) to being a major component of the storyline.  I find this interesting.  Is it because it's Dench, or is it because it makes for dramatic character development ("M" being almost the only woman in Bond's life that he doesn't sleep with; a sort of power reversal on the part of the scriptwriters)?  For whatever reason, this is the Bond film I have seen that features her most prominently, and is also the last one she'll be in (oops, I should have said Spoiler Alert).

A rather cool looking retro poster for Skyfall.  Although I can't help but guess if I'm the only person who wonders what Daniel Craig looks like when he smiles?  Connery certainly did his share of it, in his time. / Source: screenrant.com

My point is that the balance between Bond and "M" has made an interesting sideshow up until now, and really plays the lynch pin in Skyfall, but I will say that if it gets toned down with Voldemor-err, I mean Ray Finennes taking the reins, I won't complain.  This latest movie makes much of trying to fill in gaps in Bond's life, and it is almost nauseatingly clear that the movie makers are trying to appeal to the old James Bond crowd who grew up with a certain sort of lead character in the role.  Yes, it's taken plenty of twists and turns over the years, but the last few Bond films under Daniel - if my eyes got any colder blue I could freeze half the audience to death with a look - Craig (gotta be enhanced with CGI or contacts or something) have been straying more into the generic Mission Impossible/Jason Bourne/action spy movie genre, and losing their true Bond roots.

But rest assured, Skyfall keeps reminding us that James Bond is iconic, and one of a kind, and even though he's saved the whole world and jolly old England dozens of times over and had sex with every remotely attractive woman on every continent at least twice, he' not out of the market just yet. 

Speaking of James Bond, here is a graphic showing all the actors who have played the role in the twenty-three official Bond films (if you don't count 1983's Never Say Never Again, Connery's brief return to the role).  From left to right are  Sean Connery (still the best, in my opinion), George Lazenby (if memory serves, the only James Bond to ever actually marry the girl), Roger Moore (the hokey period of Bond films), Timothy Dalton (so grave and growly), Pierce Brosnan (second best for the role, in my opinion) and latest, Daniel Craig (he has the physicality and the deportment of Bond, but lacks the charm; a symptom of the latest Bond films all being a bit abrupt and lacking the style of some of the better previous movies, I believe). / Source: saintworksart.deviantart.com

Plus, the plot hits us over the head with the whole "there's lots of bad guys we can't see and so we still need spies to help us feel safe and to get things done"-speech, which while true is still a bit overdone here.  Almost an apologist's approach to human intelligence and espionage, you might say.

Anyway, enough flag waving / burning and such.  Was Skyfall worth the cheap seats admission ticket I bought to see it on the big screen?  In my opinion, yes it was.  Now as anyone who has read my blog anytime recently (well, more like ever) knows, money doesn't grow on trees around my house and so going out to a movie, even if it isn't top grade, still seems like a good use of cash, as there is a short supply of money for such activities.  I'd argue this makes me more discretionary with my spending in that department, so films reviewed here are usually worth my time because I chose ahead of time to see something that I'd like and not feel a waste of money.  It's a spiraling/repeating thing, I know. 


A few less bleeps than the usual "Everything Wrong With" clip, and some really good observations too.  Silva's plan was extraordinarily complex, I agree.  I think filmmakers do that whole "complex plan" bit just so audiences will be like, "oh my gosh, why didn't I see it all along!?," when the big reveal happens.  And truly, though I fall in that trap too, the natural reply ought to be "because no one in the world would have seen that convoluted bit of moving parts coming, that's why."

The point is, Skyfall was worth the money for me, and I'd recommend it to those who like the genre, as well as long time Bond fans.  In my opinion, it is the best of the Daniel Craig line of Bond flicks I've seen.  I haven't loved Craig's Bond movies; they seem so abrupt and are highly violent.  Skyfall is the first in which the action scenes didn't feel tacked on for energy, but more organic to the story.  It is violent, and earns a strong PG-13.  However, the sex is toned down compared to some other Bond films of past generations I could mention, and other than some obviously CGI Komodo dragons, the effects are first-rate.  I enjoyed my night at the movies and so this one gets a thumbs up.


The parting comment:


While Goldeneye, the ubiquitous Nintendo 64 game, has nothing to do with Skyfall, I'd say anyone who has played it for more than just a casual sitting or two would appreciate this clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but moderated. Thanks